Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crunchtastic Homage to the Choco Taco

Comfort food may mean a great number of different things from one person to the next, but to me comfort food means things that my parents never let me have as a child.  After a characteristic lunch at the Orleans Room I found myself still hungry, so I decided to put a bunch of tasty sugary things that are perfectly enjoyable individually into a delicious hybrid desert item.  I call this innovative desert (by which I mean most likely not truly innovative) the Crunchtastic Homage to the Choco Taco, (Pictured Below).


For the waffle I used the standard OR waffle procedure, involving putting the batter in a cup, and then in a waffle-maker.  This waffle portion of the desert served as the "taco shell" of my rendition of the Choco Taco, as a substitute for the waffle cone shell.  After that I added cookie dough ice cream on top of the waffle, and put some corn syrup based maple syrup on top.  Finally I added Cap'n Crunch on top and pushed the cereal into the ice cream so it wouldn't just fall off of my fork and annoy me.  

After thoroughly enjoying my creation I though a little bit more about where my food came from and had a few interesting realizations.  Firstly I realized how much of my desert was corn based.  The Cap'n Crunch and the syrup were essentially composed of corn and corn processing byproducts, which was kind of funny to me because I think of corn as a vegetable and not a garnish for a desert.  Also, I realized how disconnected I was from this meal despite the fact that I prepared it by myself.  In no way did I have any sort of idea where the ingredients making up my desert were from, or what conditions they had been stored, processed, and transported under.  However, asides from the unhealthily disconnected relationship between me and my desert, it was delicious and thats really the most important thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment